Gran Canaria Airport (LPA)
History, Facts and Overview
(Gran Canaria, Spain)
Gran Canaria Airport dates back to 1930, when the already existing military aerodrome at Gando, next to the Bay of Gando was converted into a civil airport. By the mid-1930s, passenger flights were in full swing and some ten years later, a large terminal building was constructed.
The year of 1957 was a turning point for the fortunes of Gran Canaria's Gando Airport, when its runway was lengthened to 2,000 metres / 6,560 feet, more than doubling it. Capitalising on its success, Gran Canaria Airport further extended its runway in 1960, to more than 3,000 metres / 9,840 feet in length, allowing the airport to accommodate much bigger aircraft. The 1970s and '80s saw the arrival of a new terminal, along with a secondary runway, regular jet plane traffic and many new domestic routes.
A number of ATMs are located around the terminal, as well as bureaux de change, a bank and a post office. A large selection of shops is also available within Gran Canaria Airport, including cosmetics and perfumes at the International Store in the boarding area, jewellery and gifts at the Maspalomas Ocean Company, leather goods at Zona Zero and, toys, T-shirts and more at the Canariensis, within the airport's official Gran Canaria Tourism Board Information Office.
For dining and refreshments there's a total of 13 outlets spread across the three main zones at Gran Canaria Airport. These include Cafeteria Sabina, Cafeteria Tirma, Caffé Select, Gran Canaria Bar, Kiosco Café and the Sky Bar.
Gran Canaria Airport (LPA) features VIP lounges with some business facilities and a meeting room. Meanwhile, the Vecindario Aeropuerto Gran Hotel is situated close to the airport and offers conference facilities for companies, along with Internet access for business travellers.